Me and my dog... or the story of my daughter and her little friend.

When my daughter was a baby, we gave her a plush cow. It was her favorite toy for a while so we decided to get another one just in case something happened to that one and then another one to leave at my mom's so she had one there when we traveled and stayed with my parents. That only lasted for 1 and a half years. In her second Christmas, my cousin gave her a little dog that looked a lot like my parent's dog (which she loves). His name is Buzz.


The moment she saw him she totally forgot the cows and Buzz has been her faithful companion ever since. He's seen a lot of action from all the adventures they have together and has been trough the washing machine and under my needle too many times, his eyes are in the brink of falling off and his filling is almost gone, but she would not change him for the world. We even made him a real dog tag with our phone number and a money reward in case he gets lost, and all the other animals in the house are named after him (Buzz Fish our Beta fish, Buzz Whale a plush toy, Buzz Bird, Buzzy (a pink dog my husband gave her in Valentine's day) and so on. So in my series of "Me and my animal" something was missing, and I think this is it. Me and my dog. I'm sure most of us have some special animal. Buzz is the one for her and no other will ever replace him. What's your most favorite toy of your childhood? Do you still treasure it?

Comments

Rosa Witten said…
The moment I saw this I knew I had to have it. I have always loved dogs. Recently I lost me beloved furbaby Wedge, he was 12 years old and my Big baby. I have been looking for something to honor him with and I think your art will work beautifully.
I just love the story behind it, I know what it is like to be a little girl who LOVES dogs. :)
Netty said…
Wonderful canvas with a great story
Danee said…
That is funny because my daughter was 2 when she asked for a Calliou doll. She had never had a "lovey" or blanket that she loved. But from the moment she touched that Calliou doll he became her #1. She is 12 and although it breaks my heart in a "Toy Story" kind of way- she is not so attached. When the stress is high though I see her go and find him at bedtime. It is funny how a child will go for so long and then latch on to something unexpected.
I had a soft, scruffy teddy bear. I remember it so clearly after all of these...decades!
Elizabeth said…
For my daughter it was a bunny given to her at birth. "Bunny" has been through a lot too...even got rolled up in a sleeping bag between camping trips...my daughter is 23 years old and still keeps that bunny on her bed in her apartment...
lovely work!

;)
Erica Herbert said…
sweet little painting, gorgeous! In my house we have a 'purple bear' & a 'brown dog' who are forever parts of our family! xoxoxo
Marfi-topia said…
lol, this is so cute.
when i was about 5 years old, my nina bought me a teddy bear, he was a fierce grizzly fending off the monsters by night and a loving fur ball by day. he never had a name either...I still have him,& he has faded eyes and a missing nose but he's still fierce:)

Popular Posts