My latest commission: A beautiful story.


 But the print of this beautiful painting on my etsy Shop.

It's finally finished.  I usually don't take so long to make a commissioned piece, but this one took me a lot longer than expected.  I have several reasons for that: the move, lack of space to create, lack of time... but the true reason lies in the fact that I did not feel like I was up to the task.  Inspiration just didn't come.  It was like too much responsibility. 

This is a very special piece, you see? And I didn't want to disappoint my patron.  Let me share with you (with her permission, of course) a little bit about this piece: 


"My grandma grew up poor.  Her family had a piano, but no money for lessons.   She taught herself to play and for her entire life she played the piano and the organ in church, at weddings, funerals, and senior citizen events.  When I was 4, my parents were in a bitter divorce and custody battle for me and my younger brother.   It was a mess but my grandparents offered to take us and that is what happened.  My grandpa died when I was 5, leaving grandma to raise two young children alone.  She was disabled and could not work and neither of our parents gave her a penny to help.  My grandma was my mother,  my father, my friend and my teacher.  She taught me to sew, crochet, sing alto, and direct music.   She taught me to love reading,  writing, dancing, vintage things, and taught me to love God.  She was a preschool teacher for years and inspired me to be a tray.  In short, anything good about me and anything good I may have done,  I owe to her."

So here they are, both as children sharing their heart and soul.  She was a remarkable woman, someone who inspired me to be the best I can be. I hope I did her justice.

Comments

Tricia said…
Love it, Danita! You did a fantastic job. I know your client will be super happy with it. I had to order a print. Hope you are feeling better.

Blessings,
Tricia
Carmen said…
That is so beautiful. You're so blessed to have a wonderful grandma.
Unknown said…
Such a sweet story. What a wonderful grandmother and what a wonderful granddaughter to honor her.
Carmen said…
Beautiful Danita, thanks for sharing your story.

Popular Posts